Since 2011, the craft beer scene in South Carolina has all but exploded. Breweries, festivals, seminars and tastings – once an occasional occurrence – are now commonplace here in Columbia. Celebrate the city’s brewery scene at the weeklong Columbia Craft Beer Week.
The event is organized by KW Beverage, which represents the Anheuser-Busch family of products as well as a wide variety of craft and import brewers.
All week the schedule is packed with events that celebrate craft beer. Here are five you don’t want to miss:
1. Did someone say beer and chocolate? Yes, please! Perfect for a pre-Valentine’s Day celebration, head to Craft & Draft growler shop for a beer and chocolate pairing with Brewery 85 and a special appearance by Cupid. Event is 4-8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13.
2. Where else to have a beer event than America’s greatest dive bar? It’s “Two to Taco” at The Whig, featuring Sugar Creek Brewing’s Belgian-inspired brews plus queso and chicken tacos. Event is 4-11 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 14.
3. Random Tap is pairing up two things everyone loves: beer and Girl Scout cookies. Four cookies (better be Thin Mints!) will be paired with eight beers. Event is 5:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15. Space is limited.
4. Hi-Wire and Catawba will battle out the brews in a Total Tap Takeover at Craft & Draft as they highlight some of their special beers. From Catawba, try the Catawba Doppelbock, White Zombie, Mile Post IPA, Barrel Aged Hooligan, Chocolate Saison and Ted Light Lime. Hi-Wire will be pouring Wild Rye IPA, Pulcinella Russian Imperial Stout, Foeder Brett Saison, Mosaic IPA, Death Defying Spring Ale and Baltic Porter. Event is Thursday, Feb. 16.
5. On Saturday, Feb. 18 head to the World Beer Festival at its new, larger venue at the South Carolina State Fairgrounds. Explore some of the finest breweries from South Carolina and around the world, including Lebanon, New Zealand, Japan and Russia. Participate in seminars with beer experts and a Cheese and Beer Pairing.
For more information on these and many other events taking place during Columbia Craft Beer Week, visit colacraftbeerweek.com.